Protocol Still Needs Refining
Human DNA Extraction from Hair Follicle
DNA extraction for Southern Blot
1) Pluck a hair so that some root is removed from your head. The root
is white/translucent in appearance.
Check to make sure you got some root and not all shaft.
2) Cut off most of the hair but keep the root (~ 5 mm). Be careful, sometimes the root will jump away when you cut the hair.
3) Incubate the root in 100 µl digestion buffer plus 6 µg of proteinase K for 1 hour at 55° C then 10 minutes at 95° C.
4) Use thermocycler program HAIR 1 - lid disabled for these temperatures and incubations times.
5) Do a phenol/chloroform extraction; then a chloroform extraction.
6) Add 1/10 volume sodium acetate and ethanol precipitate.
7) Spin for 10 minutes and then wash with 70% EtOH.
8) Resuspend DNA in 20 µl TE plus 2 µl RNase A.
Hair DNA Extraction Buffer - store at +4° C
Return to Molecular Lab Schedule
Return to Molecular Main Page
© Copyright 2000 Department of Biology, Davidson College, Davidson, NC 28036
Send comments, questions, and suggestions to: firstname.lastname@example.org