Answer all three parts of question 1

1. A.  Define auxotroph.  Why did we use an auxotrophic bacteria for the Ames test?

B.  Given the following data, which compound(s) would you conclude is/are mutagenic?
NOTE: Data show numbers of colonies observed.

STRAINS water (blank)  coffee  tobacco gasoline
100              10                   8          12           15
102  &nbe and contrast non-cyclic and cyclic photophosphorylation.

5.  Rotenone, an extremely toxic substance used by Native South American populations as a poison, has been shown to prevent NADH oxidation.  Explain why this compound is so deadly.

6.  It is estimated that the complete oxidation of glucose is 63% efficient.  Explain what is meant by this statement.  Account for the remaining 37%.   2,4-dinitrophenol is a respiratory uncoupler.  Explain what this compound does.  How would it affect this efficiency?

7.  How do plants acquire nitrogen?  Why do plants and animals need nitrogen?

8.  Compare and contrast the Calvin cycle and the citric acid cycle.  Why are these two processes called "cycles"?

9.  Compare and contrast substrate-level phosphorylation, oxidative phosphorylation, and photophosphorylation.

Return to Davidson College Biology Department Home Page

© Copyright 2000 Department of Biology, Davidson College, Davidson, NC 28036
Phone number: (704) 892-2846
Send comments, questions, and suggestions to: