Ok I have a page--how do I make all those cool connections?
For the novice--read the instructions below. For those more comfortable/experienced with webdesign see 'advanced info'
Connecting between pages that you
wrote (ex. your homepage and your individual project)
Making a relative link: connecting between pages/images that are all saved in the same folder (directory level) or are found in a 'lower' folder or directory level. (that means a folder within that folder)
1. Make sure that all of your files/images are in a folder that is accessible from the computer you are working on (on the desktop, on louise, on a disc). You will need to be able to 'choose' a filename later in the process
2. Open your page (in Dreamweaver) and highlight the words or image that you want to be able to click on and have link to another file.
3. Go down to the LINK box in the dialog box at the bottm of
the page. Type in the URL you want to link to. Hit return.
If you are linking to another page on your site you want to make a 'relative link'. Don't type anything. select the text (like in 2) then click and hold on the icon that looks like a compass next to the 'Link' box in the dialog box at the bottom of the page. Drag the pointer over to the list of your files and point at the icon for the page you want to link. Release the mouse and the correct URL will appear in the link box.
4. Save the changes to your page.
5. Check out the link to make sure it works. (How you ask?-- Under the FILE menu choose PREVIEW IN BROWSER. or Click on the F12 key (Macs) or look at the tool bar and click on the icon of the earth. A new window will open and you can test your links.
7. If you have changed the background color of your page make sure that the 'active link' text and 'used link' text are still visible. The default blue and purple don't always show up will on other backgrounds. To change the colors used for linked text follow the same instructions used for changing text color and just change the appropriate box.
8. Save this new version of the page to the bio server
(How? click here). Also MAKE SURE THAT
YOU HAVE SAVED THE "LINKED TO" FILES/IMAGES ONTO SERVER IN THE SAME FOLDER
ARRANGEMENT THAT YOU HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH.