Po Box 6176, Davidson, NC 28035-6176
(865)-924-5963, email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org
Davidson College. Davidson, NC. Graduation May 2003.
Bachelor of Science in Biology; Concentration in Neuroscience
Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics. Biology and Math Departments, Davidson College Davidson, NC. Spring 2002.
· Completed research project cloning S. cerevisiae isocitrate dehydrogenase
genes, purifying IDH proteins, and performing in-depth molecular analysis.
· Produced computer programs and websites for Kyte-Doolittle Hydropathy analysis and S. cerevisiae Genome analysis using PERL programming.
Neuroscience. Biology and Psychology Departments, Davidson College. Davidson, NC. Fall 2000 to present.
· Assisted in electrophysiology examining the role of post-lesion neuronal
sprouting in the temperodentate pathway associated with learning and memory
in Rattus norvegicus.
· Collected and analyzed tissue and data to complete basic science trials of neurotrophic growth factor as Alzheimer's model treatment in Sprague-Dawley rats.
· Performed behavioral equipment technical maintenance and computer technical maintenance.
· Designed and completed research project examining the effects of ethanol on the development and targeting of the RGC axons in Xenopus laevis embryos.
· Executed research projects producing Parkinson's and Alzheimer's disease animal models, testing behavior to assess model efficacy and neuroplasticity, and performed tissue collection and analysis.
· Produced and maintained comprehensive website on neural tube defects; updated Davidson College Neuroscience Website.
· Performed behavioral testing, data analysis, and literature research for completion of basic science trials for Alzheimer's therapeutic-AIT082.
Marine Biology. Duke University Marine Lab. Piver's Island-Beaufort, NC.
· Semester of marine-biology collection and analysis techniques, including
extensive foot fieldwork, boat fieldwork, and underwater fieldwork.
· Completed all aspects of an independent research project examining male-dominance in choosing burrows in Uca pugnax, the mud fiddler crab.
Archaeology. Athienou Archaeological Project. Athienou, Cyprus.
· Worked in lab documenting, cataloguing, and conserving near Eastern
Cypro-Archaic, Cypro-Classical, and early Roman era artifacts.
· Performed field conservation of dig site, prepared and photographed objects for publication, and performed literature research for publication at the Cyprus American Archaeological Research Institute.
Editorial and Publishing Experience________________________________________
mental_floss Magazine. Mental Floss, LLC. Birmingham, AL.
January 2002 to January 2003.
· Worked as staff writer and science editor, publishing six original
science articles in the educational magazine mental_floss.
· Successfully solicited original work from and maintained professional relations with scientists and writers.
· In charge of planning science sections in six-month increments, editing submitted science articles, and writing science articles.
· Developed original marketing ideas and assisted in execution of marketing and sales strategies.
· Acted as trades show sales representative.
· Worked on mental_floss book proposal with Harper Collins publishers; successfully contacted and solicited original material from scientists.
· Performed technical installations and maintenance of internet and network services for office.
P. Leese, C. Wagner, "The Sounds of Science," mental_floss Magazine 1(4): 32-34
P. Leese, "Mad Scientist of the Month: Kary Mullis," mental_floss Magazine 1(4): 45-48
P. Leese, "Six Ideas that could Save the Planet," mental_floss Magazine 1(5): 46-48
P. Leese, "Mad Scientist of the Month: James Watson," mental_floss Magazine 1(5): 44-46
P. Leese, "A Fear of All Sums: Three Math Theories Explained," mental_floss Magazine 1(5): 48-52
P. Leese, "Great Moments in Ancient Science," mental_floss Magazine 1(6): 44-47
Neuroscience-Davidson College Neuroscience Website 2002 updates and original Review Website on Neural Tube Defects
Bioinformatics and Molecular Biology-Kyte-Doolittle Hydropathy Analysis, S. cerevisiae genome hierarchical clustering analysis, and IDH molecular analysis
Archaeology-Athienou Archaeological Project 2002 updates
Back to Herp Lab Staff Page