*This web page was produced as an assignment for an undergraduate course at Davidson College.
1) [CDC] Center for Disease Control. 2007 January 29. CDC home page. <http://www.cdc.gov/index.htm>. Accessed 2007 Feb 5.
2) Seidel JS, Harmatz P, Visvesvara GS, Cohen A, Edwards J, Turner J. Successful treatment of primary amebic meningoencephalitis. New England Journal of Medicine 1982;306:346-48.
3) Anderson K, Jamieson A. Primary amoebic meningoencephalitis. Lancet 1972;1:902-3.
4) Holbrook TW, Boackle RJ, Parker BW, Vesely J. Activation of the alternative complement pathway by Naegleria fowleri. Infect Immun 1980 October; 30(1): 58–61.
5) Anzil AP, Rao C, Wrzolek MA, et al: Amebic meningoencephalitis in a patient with AIDS caused by a newly recognized opportunistic pathogen. Arch Pathol Lab Med 115:21-25, 1991
6) Martinez M, Gonzalez-Mediero G, Santiago P, Rodriguez de Lope A, Diz J, Conde C, Visvesvara GS. Granulomatous Amebic Encephalitis in a Patient with AIDS: Isolation of Acanthamoeba sp. Group II from Brain Tissue and Successful Treatment with Sulfadiazine and Fluconazole. J Clin Microbiol 2000 October; 38(10): 3892–3895.
7) Goswick SM, Brenner GM. Activities of Azithromycin and Amphotericin B against Naegleria fowleri In Vitro and in a Mouse Model of Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2003 February; 47(2): 524–528.
8) Fritzinger AE, Toney DM, MacLean RC, Marciano-Cabral F. Identification of a Naegleria fowleri Membrane Protein Reactive with Anti-Human CD59 Antibody. Infection and Immunity, February 2006: 74(2): 1189-1195.
9) Manzo A . 2003. <http://pr.caltech.edu/periodicals/EandS/articles/BrainWormsPaper.pdf>. Accessed 2007 Mar 24.
10) Vargas-Zepeda J, Gomez-Alcala AV, Vasquez-Morales JA, Licea-Amaya L, DeJonckheere JF, Lares-Villa F. Successful treatment of Naegleria fowleri meningoencephalitis by using intravenous amphotericin B, fluconazole and rifampicin. Arch Med Res, Jan-Feb 2005;36(1):83-6.
Humoral Immune Response
Cellular Immune Response
Evasion of The Immune System
If you have any question or suggestions regarding this site, please contact Alex Kim (firstname.lastname@example.org)